> Ybbs an der Donau
Ybbs an der Donau
Ybbs an der Donau is a city in Austria. It was established in 1317. Throughout the town, from the intersection of the important trade routes and along the Danube the town has preserved a site that already had great economic importance during the Middle Ages. This is the reason for the very early award of incorporation as a town.
Coat of arms
On a silver shield lies a red city wall with battlements that an open gate and raised portcullis, which are dominated by two towers. Between the towers floats a green Linden bough, and the red-white-red Bindenschild.
Coat of Arms Bestowal: unknown; at least since the 14th century.
During the Roman Empire, a group of Egyptians lived here and built a temple dedicated to the goddess Isis. Isis lives on in the name Ybbs.
Business and Infrastructure
- In northwestern Ybbs is the Ybbs-Persenbeug Power Station, the first river-water-run power plant on the Austrian Danube. WIlly Höhn, a Coburg native came from Stettin. In 1939, he insisted that one of his special constructions was implemented.
- Between November 11, 1907, and September 22, 1953, Ybbs was on the Ybbser Highway, maybe the shortest tramway line in the world. It was 2.94 km long and connected the town with the Westbahn train station in Ybbs-Kemmelbach.
Alphabetical Index of Pages | Hierarchical Index of Pages
All content originates from the English Wikipedia, licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0