Originally called King's Island, it was the first part of Bermuda to be extensively colonised, and the town of St. George's contains many of the territory's oldest buildings. Notable among these are St. Peter's Church, and the State House, and many forts, including Gate's Fort. Fort St. Catherine, close to the island's northernmost point, is a 19th-century construction built upon a 17th-century base. it is where the first English settlers ship wrecked in the sea venture in 1609.
The island is separated from the nearby St. David's Island by St. George's Harbor in the north, and by a channel known as Ferry Reach in the south. Bridges and a causeway connect it with the main island to the south via St. David's Island.
Schools on the island: