The port serves ferry routes to the islands of Tenerife, La Palma and El Hierro. Streets include Calle Real and F. Olsen. A bus station named Estación de Guaguas is used for bus lines throughout the island; it is located on Avenida Quinta Centenario.
The area was inhabited by the Guanches before the arrival of the Spanish. Hernán Peraza arrived in 1440. Christopher Columbus stopped at the harbour on 6 September 1492 before heading to India but arrived in America instead. The building in which Columbus stayed whilst on the island is now a museum.
Apart from the town of San Sebastián the municipality includes the settlements of
The municipality also includes these sites of interest:
The economy of San Sebastián de La Gomera is centered on the functions of the capital and its port, as well as in the public sector, particularly in the transportation, trading, and tourism of Tenerife.
The port serves as a hub for tourists arriving in ferries from the nearby island of Tenerife. The main ferry companies are Fred. Olsen Express and Naviera Armas.
In Puntallana is the chapel of the Virgin of Guadalupe, the patron saint of the island of La Gomera.
The relatively quiet island is only a short 35 minute hop from nearby Tenerife, which is almost always visible from La Gomera.