The Town of Samos was built in the middle of 18th century as the port of Vathy. At first there were only depots for the necessities of the trade. Samos town was initially named Kato Vathy (meaning low Vathy) or Limenas Vatheos (meaning port of Vathy). Current name (Samos town) was given it in 1958. During 19th became the administration centre of the island. At that time, its population increased. After the union of Samos with Greece, Samos town remained the administration centre of the island, as well as it became the capital of the Samos Prefecture and the seat of the local municipality.
Samos town is on the coast, very close to Vathy. Its houses are built to amphitheatrically formation, around the bay. In front of the settlement is the port of Samos with wharf of more than 150 meters length. Notable buildings in Samos are the old churches of Agios Nikolaos and Agios Spiridon, the town hall and the two statues (the statue of Themistocles Sofoulis on the coastal road and the big lion statue on the central square).