Saint-Denis is the préfecture
of the French overseas region and department of Réunion, in the Indian Ocean. It is located at the island's northernmost point, close to the mouth of the Rivière Saint-Denis.
Saint-Denis is the most populous commune in the French overseas departments. At the 1999 census, there were 158,139 inhabitants in the urban area of Saint-Denis, 131,557 of whom lived in the city of Saint-Denis proper and the remainder in the neighbouring commune of Sainte-Marie.
Saint-Denis was founded by Étienne Regnault in 1669 and became the capital of Réunion island in 1738.
The town has many neighbourhoods : Le Barachois, Bellepierre, Bois-de-Nèfles, La Bretagne (Le Cerf), Le Brûlé, Les Camélias, Centre-ville, Champ-Fleuri, La Montagne(Le Colorado, Ruisseau Blanc, Saint-Bernard), Montgaillard, La Providence, La Rivière Saint-Denis (La Redoute), Ruisseau des Noirs, Saint-François, Saint-Jacques, Sainte-Clotilde (Le Butor, le Chaudron, Commune Prima, Domenjod, Le Moufia), La Source, La Trinité, Vauban
Transport and accommodation
The closest airport is Roland Garros Airport which is also the main international airport of Réunion.
The hotels in Saint-Denis include Mercure Creolia Hotel, Austral Hotel and Best Western.
- since 2008: Gilbert Annette, PS
- 2001–2008: René-Paul Victoria, UMP
- 1994–2001: Michel Tamaya, PS
- 1989–1994: Gilbert Annette, PS
- 1969–1989: Auguste Legros, RPR
- Léon Dierx Museum (art gallery and museum)
- Jardin de l'État (public gardens – includes a natural history museum)
- Le Barachois, seafront park
- La Roche Écrite (15 km (9 mi) south of the city), summit overlooking Saint-Denis, with impressive views over the city
- Brasseries de Bourbon
- The mosque Noor-e-Islam, the biggest of Reunion and the oldest existing on French soil (1905)
IBM has an office in Saint-Denis.
Saint-Denis features a tropical monsoon climate (Köppen Am) with two distinct seasons: a hot and humid wet season from December to April and a very warm, less humid dry season for the remaining seven months of the year. Y=The dry season does typically feature relatively light rain, but it is not wet enough to be a tropical rainforest climate. During the wet season, tropical cyclones often affect the city.
Sentenced to exile in Réunion, the Moroccan Rais Abd el-Krim lived a few years in Saint-Denis from 1926.
- Félix Guyon (1831-1920), urologist
- Édouard Hervé (1835-1899), journalist and academician
- Juliette Dodu (1848-1909), resistant to the war of 1870
- Ambroise Vollard (1866-1939), art dealer and gallery
- Raymond Vergès (1882-1957), mayor of the town, founder of Témoignages
- Roland Garros (1888-1918), aviator
- Émile Hugot (1904-1993), industrialist in sugarcane
- Jean-Henri Azéma (1913-2000), poet
- Raymond Barre 1924-2007, politician
- Daniel Sangouma (1965), sprinter
- Gérald De Palmas (1967), singer
- Surya Bonaly (1973), International Olympic Skater
- Willy Grondin (1974), football player
- Daniel Narcisse (1979), International handball
Alphabetical Index of Pages | Hierarchical Index of Pages
All content originates from the English Wikipedia, licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0