> Booth Island
> Port Charcot
Port Charcot is a 3 km wide bay indenting the north shore of Booth Island, in the Wilhelm Archipelago of Antarctica. It was charted by the third French Antarctic expedition, under Jean-Baptiste Charcot, and named by him for his father, Jean-Martin Charcot, French neurologist. Charcot established the expedition's winter base at Port Charcot in 1904.
A cairn at Port Charcot, with a wooden pillar and a plaque inscribed with the names of the members of the French expedition, has been designated a Historic Site or Monument, following a proposal by Argentina to the Antarctic Treaty Consultative Meeting.
Alphabetical Index of Pages | Hierarchical Index of Pages
All content originates from the English Wikipedia, licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0