The present municipality of Parga was formed at the 2011 local government reform by the merger of the following 2 former municipalities, that became municipal units:
The municipality has an area of 274.796 km2, the municipal unit 68.903 km2.
In antiquity the area was inhabited by the Greek tribe of the Thesprotians. The ancient town of Toryne was probably located here. The village of Parga stands from the early 13th century. In 1815, with the fortunes of the French failing, the citizens of Parga revolted against French rule and sought the protection of the British.
Ottoman rule in Parga and the rest of Epirus was ended in 1913 following the victory of Greece in the Balkan Wars.
The Castle is found on the top of a hill overlooking the town and was used to protect the town from invasions from the mainland and the sea. It was initially built in the 11th century by the residents of Parga to protect their town from pirates and the Ottomans. In the 13th century, as their control of the region increased, the Venetians rebuilt the castle to fortify the area. In 1452, Parga and the castle were occupied by the Ottomans for two years; part of the castle was demolished at that time. In 1537, Ottoman admiral Hayreddin Barbarossa burned and destroyed the fortress and the houses within.
Before the reconstruction of the castle in 1572 by the Venetians, the Turks demolished it once again. The Venetians rebuilt it for the third and last time creating a stronger fortress that stayed impregnable until 1819, despite attacks, especially by Ali Pasha of Ioannina. Provisions for the castle were transported via two bays at Valtos and Pogonia. When Parga was sold to the Ottomans, Ali Pasha made structural additions to the castle, including a Turkish bath and his harem quarters which he built at the top of the fortress. On the arched gate at the wall of the castle entrance, the winged lion of Agios Markos is visible. Other entrance details include, the name “ANTONIO BERVASS 1764”, emblems of Ali Pasha, two-headed eagles and related inscriptions.
The city of Parga is built amphitheatrically, and is situated between the mountainous coastal region of Preveza and Igoumenitsa. It is known as the “Bride of Epirus”. In the summer, Parga receives tourists from Paxos, Antipaxos, and Corfu who arrive there by boat.
Parga attracts thousands of tourists. In its vicinity, there are beaches including Valtos, Kryoneri, Piso Kryoneri, Lichnos, Sarakiniko and Ai Giannaki.
Lichnos Beach is one of the beaches of Parga. It is located 4 km from Parga.
Krioneri Beach is the main beach of Parga and is found a short distance from the town centre. The small island of Virgin Mary is situated across the bay.
Valtos Beach is one of the longest beaches of Parga. It is located near the castle of Parga. Because of its clear waters and short distance from Parga it attracts many tourists.
Agios Sostis is a small beach on the northwest side of Anthoussa village. A small church, built in the 14th century, is located nearby.
Sarakiniko is a well-known beach, located on the west side of Agia village, near a small river and olive trees, approximately 12 km from the town centre. Small boats connect the beach with the port of Parga.
The town of Parga is linked with direct suburban buses (KTEL) to other Greek cities and towns such as Igoumenitsa and Preveza. There are also indirect connections with Athens. Thessaloniki and Ioannina
Tourists arriving in Parga fly in from Aktio (65 km) with seasonal direct flights connecting Parga with Athens, Thessaloniki and other domestic and international destinations. Tourists also arrive via the Ioannina and Corfu airports.
Parga is located 10 km from national road and 34 km from national motorway.