> Paradise Bay
Paradise Harbor, also known as Paradise Bay
, is a wide embayment behind Lemaire and Bryde Islands in Antarctica, indenting the west coast of Graham Land between Duthiers and Leniz Points. The name was first applied by whalers operating in the vicinity and was in use by 1920. It is one of only two harbors used for cruise ships to stop on the continent; the other is Neko Harbour. Argentina's Almirante Brown Antarctic Base stands on the coast of the bay, as does Chile's González Videla Antarctic Base.
In 1950 a shelter was erected near the Chilean Base to honour Gabriel Gonzalez Videla, the first head of state to visit the Antarctic. The shelter constitutes a representative example of pre-IGY activity in Antarctica. It has been designated a Historic Site or Monument, following a proposal by Chile to the Antarctic Treaty Consultative Meeting.
Alphabetical Index of Pages | Hierarchical Index of Pages
All content originates from the English Wikipedia, licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0