As of 2008, the city has an estimated population of 109,285 with a population density of 294 persons per km². The total area is 371.13 km².
The modern city was founded on December 1, 1940, during World War II, although its history extends to feudal times. It is the third-largest city in the population in Ishikawa prefecture after Hakusan City was formed and came to the second in 2005.
Komatsu Airport is the main airport of Ishikawa. It is located about an hour driving distance southwest from Kanazawa. It is served by JR West Hokuriku Main Line, Hokuriku Expressway and National Highways Routes 8, 305, 360 and 416. In 2023, this city will served by Hokuriku Shinkansen.
Komatsu Limited, the construction and mining equipment company, was founded in the city in 1921.
Interesting places in Komatsu are the Nata-Dera Buddhist temple complex, the Yunokuni-no-mori traditional handicrafts village, Hoshi Ryokan, and the Motorcar Museum of Japan which is the largest museum dedicated to motor vehicles in Japan with a 12,000 square metre display area. Nearby is the well-known Kaga hot-springs district.
From the 17th Century to the Meiji Restoration, Komatsu housed the retirement castle of Maeda Toshitsune. While nearly all of the castle was demolished, its garden still remains as 芦城公園, Rojou Park. In the spring, this is one of the prefecture's best spots for cherry blossom viewing.
Komatsu is twinned with Gateshead Council and operates an exchange program involving 10 students every two years.