During the Canton trade, Changzhou was known as "Dane's Island" and used by Danish crews for repairs and burials. It lay on the eastern side of the Huangpu or "Whampoa" anchorage, named for Huangpu Island (now Pazhou in Haizhu District). The Whampoa Military Academy was founded on Changzhou in 1924.
On 12 February 2014, Luogang District was dissolved by China's central government and its area added to Huangpu.
Huangpu district is one of the developing industrial districts in Guangzhou. As such, this district has many factories and wharves. It also has some business hotels. These hotels are particularly busy during the Canton Fair, located on neighboring Pazhou.
Huangpu is currently serviced by two lines on the Guangzhou Metro:
The American International School of Guangzhou middle and high school campus is in Science Park (科学城; 科學城; Kēxuéchéng; fo1 hok6 sing4), in the former Luogang District.