Bullecourt lies on the Upper Cretaceous plain of Artois between Arras and Bapaume and east of the A1 motorway. Quéant is the larger of the two villages near the eastern edge. The A1 and the high-speed (TGV) railway line run up the western edge. To the south of Bullecourt, a now closed local railway line snakes from east to west.
Bullecourt lies in the triangle made by the A1, A2 and A26 motorways and that made by the N17, N30 and D939 roads.
There were remains from the Gallo-Roman period and the village was mentioned under the name "Bullecortis", in 1096.
In 620, it was the birthplace of Saint Vindicien, a follower of Saint Eligius, known in French as Saint Eloi. Vindicien became successively, bishop of Arras and bishop of Cambrai. He is regarded as the founder of the abbey named after his mentor, Mont St Eloi, of which Bullecourt became a lordship.
The village has twice been completely destroyed: in 1543 and in 1917. As a result of events in the latter year, Bullecourt is part of Australian, ANZAC history. This arose as part of the Battle of Arras in the spring of 1917, when Bullecourt lay at the southern end of the battle front. See Australian 4th Division (World War I). The 62nd Division was part of the same battle in the sector adjoining that of the ANZACs and facing the part of the Hindenburg Line which lay in the village itself. They returned to the sector formerly occupied by the Australians, later in May. The Musée Jean et Denise Letaille now commemorates this fighting.
While there were many bunkers and dugouts, from the period of the Hindenburg Line, there is also an underground shelter from the 17th century.
The church of St. Vlaast was rebuilt after 1918.
There is a museum of objects collected from the periods of the world wars.
The economy is one of general farming with the raising of beef. The village has an agricultural cooperative.
The village festival is held on the first Sunday of June and there is a festival in honour of the Australians on the last Saturday in April.